Friday, November 9, 2007

Make great (white) bread

I wanted to make a great batch of bread for Boo's party today: I settled on the following method:

Mix a cup or so of warm water, a teaspoon or so of yeast, and a cup and a half or so of flour in a large mixing bowl, to make a thick batter. Cover with plastic wrap, and leave overnight to rise. Add enough flour plus about 1-2 teaspoons of salt (depending on size of spoon, variety of salt, etc), and knead until smooth. Place dough in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and leave to rise.

Now cut the dough into one inch (or so) pieces: add a cup of water, and enough flour (1-2 cups or so) to make everything come together in a stand mixer.
Shape, leave to rise, slash and bake at 425 or so, for 30 minutes or so.

Yours, doing what is kneaded for the party:-)
N.

3 comments:

kenju said...

I love your tag lines, Breadbox! I would also love a slice or two of bread, with butter, please! MIchele wants one too.

Anonymous said...

Oh I can't wait to try this out!
Michele sent me.

alice c said...

Your puns are so sharp that you will cut yourself if you are not careful.