Tuesday, July 17, 2007

What made the bread sing on Sunday

On Sunday, when the kids made bread, I used a little trick to improve the flavour. It is a simple trick that anyone can do, and it is a lot less trouble than making the mixed starter bread I've written about before. I had baked a batch of bread on Saturday, and had reserved some of the dough: I left it on the counter overnight to over-rise (the kitchen is not that warm at night if the stove is off). On Sunday, when the children were making their dough, I broke up the old dough into small pieces, and added them to the childrens' bowls, while their doughs were still at a liquidy batter stage (essentially proofing the yeast with all the water and about a quarter of the flour).
Of course, this was easily possible since I'd made dough the day before.... but you can refrigerate the dough, or freeze it until you need it. It won't be quite as good, perhaps, but still rather tasty:-)

Anyway, the flavour of the childrens' breads really did sing: a beautiful tenor or baritone: Pavarotti style, Nessun Dorma.

Yours, in gentle deceit and rhapsody,
N.

2 comments:

Cornish Dreamer said...

I've only once kept dough in the fridge; the results were okay (I was making croissants), but they weren't half as good as the first (unrefrigerated) batch. I have to admit I've never tried it since.
But it's a good tip to leave it out over night though...I'll have to give it a go.

I'm really going to have to start making bread again.

RT

BreadBox said...

I'll let the shaped breads rise in the fridge on occasion: but the suggestion above was to have some old dough, and break it up and include it in the new dough --- it will add depth and complexity to the flavour...
Yes, you should start making bread again!
N.