Tuesday, July 17, 2007

What made the bread sing on Sunday II

Of course, when bakers talk of bread singing, they don't mean what I wrote about earlier. They mean that moment, a few minutes after you've removed the bread from the oven, when it is sitting on the rack to cool: you're controlling your lust to slice into it, since you've believed Breadbox on this (let it cool enough: it really will be better) and suddenly, out of the corner of your ear, you hear it. It's whispering to you, a melodic, crackling whisper of a song, like an old 78 played by hand: and it is whispering "I'll be good, I'll be good, I'll be so good for you..."

Yours, (shhhh....)
N.

5 comments:

~A~ said...

I was going to leave a long post but it was too cute of a story not to post on my own site.

Anonymous said...

Oh Breadbox, I think I am in love!! I read some of your postings and was delighted to see BREAD,( I love me some carbs!) and VIVALDI ( only my favoritist composer and the 4 seasons- #1 with a bullet!!)

Thanks for stopping by my humble blog! Auntie Antiquity

BreadBox said...

~a~: I love the story: gave me a good chuckle:-)

N.

Michele said...

Oh my! You did not tell me that you have a poetic way with words. Why did you not tell me this?

(swoon)

BreadBox said...

Oh Michele, you miss the truth -- I have a poetic way with bread --- the words themselves are drawn unbidden by the crumb...