Friday, July 20, 2007

Chicken soup for the breadbox soul

So yesterday, as often recently, I decided to do breaded chicken breasts: they are simple, relatively quick, and the sprogs actually usually wolf them up (which as anyone with a 4 or 2 year old knows is an important and good feature of any food group at that age!)
But chicken breasts are not cheap at the moment, and even less cheap if you buy them boneless and skinless. So of course, rather than take the easy but expensive way out, BreadBox bought on-the-bone, skin-on chicken breasts. Now, not liking to waste anything, and most especially good food, I threw the bones etc into a stock pot with a diced onion or two, some carrots, celery, garlic, pepper corns and a bunch of water. Possibly some other stuff too --- I'm telling this from memory, remember? Today, I bought some more chicken, cut it into pieces, threw it into the stock, and poached it: now the stock and the chicken meat are waiting for me to assemble chicken soup with rice for dinner. Dice an onion, chop up some carrots and celery, season with salt, pepper, some herbs -- marjoram, perhaps tarragon or thyme, depending on my mood. Shred the chicken and throw it all together.

Oh, and of course, because it's me, I threw together a batch of dough to make a loaf for dinner too.

Yours, getting peckish already,
N.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm salivating. I truly enjoy a great chicken n' rice soup. When it comes to soup I can pound back bowl full after bowl full and ask for more.

Here through Michele.

Cheers,

P.

BreadBox said...

Nice to e-meet you, Paul -- I like your photographs.

N.

Linda said...

Oh my, that sounds absolutely YUMMY! How I wish I had the patience to make bread...and the hand strength. My hands can not knead it.

I'm blessed, I buy my chicken breasts at the military commissary, where everything is wholesale, so I get it at less than half what the retailers charge. Small blessings.

And I had to say (since I was talking about kneading)...when I was a young girl, I had to make a poster for a contest - I made twon hands and a pile of dough...the poster read: Love is like dough, it must be kneaded.

Thought it was a great play on words...and so true!