Monday, July 30, 2007

Getting a rise

No, not a pay raise. Nor am I talking about getting someone to react to a joke, or to an evil comment, or anything like that. I'm talking bread. Of course.

Almost every cookbook, it seems, has a recipe for bread in it, emphasizing how nice it is to eat homemade bread, etc. And it's true: it is wonderful to have good homemade bread!

But these same books also suggest that the bread be left to rise "in a warm place", sometimes suggesting the top of a fridge, or even a gas oven with a pilot light left on. Perhaps this is because they think that people don't want to take the time with their recipes, or perhaps it got written down once, and like a bad meme or the common cold got passed from author to author. Whatever. Please, please, try making your own bread. And please, please, please try letting it rise somewhere other than a warm place!

Here's the thing: yeast will grow faster in a warm place, but that fast growth doesn't give the dough time to develop all that wonderful character, to reach its full potential. That takes time! And there are a variety of things you can do to give it that time. I will occasionally retard a rise by letting the shaped loaf rise in the fridge overnight (but letting the dough come back to room temperature for a couple of hours before baking!) I will choose a cooler spot, or chill the bowl in which the dough is going to rise.

Anyway, I'm thinking about posting some more thoughts on this in the next little while.

Did I get a rise?

Yours, seated,
N.

3 comments:

~A~ said...

I have to agree, we like the doughs that take hours upon hours, or days to develop.

But sometimes, it's nice to have a loaf of bread in three hours. :)

I just need to bread down one of these days and experiment with the best way to freeze dough.

BreadBox said...

I find that if I let the dough go through its pre-shaping rise(s) and then shape it into a batard, say, and freeze that, wrapped loosely in plastic wrap (loosely, since the dough will rise a little prior to freezing solid).

On the day that you want to bake it, take it out, unwrap it, and cover loosely to let it thaw. It will take several hours, and will rise as normal.

Also, you can let it thaw in the fridge overnight, and then bake it in the morning (let it sit for as long as you can at room temperature first) if you want to bake as early as possible.

N.

Cristin B said...

I've never made bread myself, but some day I'm sure I'll try it, and hopefully I'll remember what you said here. It certainly sounds like good advice :) Michele sent me