Monday, July 30, 2007

On saying "I love you"

There is a wonderful book by the amazing Australian childrens author, Mem Fox, called Koala Lou: the gist of the story is that Koala Lou's mother tells her she loves her every day, until along come sisters and brothers, and she is too busy.
So Koala Lou, after brooding and getting upset, decides to enter the Bush Olympics -- she'll win the gum tree climbing competition and finally, her mother will say, once again, those words she longs to hear: "I love you".

Well, the story is wonderful - and at the end, her mother does say "Koala Lou, I *do* love you, I always have, and I always will".

The point of this? I try to tell Boo (4) and Skibo (2 going on 3) this every day, so that they know that they are loved, and so that they don't have to regard saying "I love you" as a freakish thing to say!



Yours, in love, with LOML and my sprogs,

N.

3 comments:

awareness said...

me too...........like it's as natural as a hello greeting.....

have you read "The Kissing Hand?" It's the story of a little raccoon who is heading off to school for the first time. His mom kisses the palm of his hand and tells him that if he gets nervous or frightened by all that is new, he can look at his hand anytime and see the kiss left behind. I read it to my son just before he left for Kindergarten. On the big day, I left a big smacky kiss on his palm......

he still remembers five years later.

BreadBox said...

Awareness,
I know and love the book! It is one of our favourites too -- though that is a bit of a misnomer: Boo and Skibo have nearly as many books as LOML and I do (and we have triple stacked our multiple bookcases). So, favourites? Dozens. At least:-)
That gives me an idea for a blog posting:-) Thanks!
N.

Laura McIntyre said...

Its hard to beleive some parent does tell their kids. My girls get it many times a day, my eldest will happily share it back with her sister but not poor mummy or daddy