Friday, July 6, 2007

Average is mean

I am sometimes struck by the mediocrity of my life: I have done a few things over the past umptythrix years that I am very proud of: and a few that I am not proud of too. And I try, by and large, to leave a positive impact: I think that we are doing a pretty good job of raising two wonderful, smart, beautiful, kind children: we are gentle to pets, and save new ones that come along on occasion.
And when I look around me, to the people I know well, and afar, to the people I know at a distance, I usually feel quite ordinary. This is good.
And then I hear distant whispers, catch a glimpse, hear a rumour of what someone I know is doing: someone I have known well or less well in the past, doing something truly outstanding, something with a real impact, on a few people or a lot.
And I feel mediocre.


Yours, at par
N.

No comments: