Thursday, July 26, 2007

Daily gripe

Why is it that Boo and Skibo don't need naps any more? Well, more precisely, since I'm actually okay with that, why is it that if they do take a nap, they end up needing to stay up late? Well, even that is not it: what it is, in fact, is the following: we don't try to get the sprogs to take a nap any more, but then there are days like today: we all went down to the farmers' market this afternoon, and Skibo had an intense need to be held: and then, when being held, fell asleep on LOML's shoulder.
We brought him home, laid him on the bed, and he didn't get up until gone 6 o'clock. Is it any wonder that I didn't manage to finally get him to sleep again until nearly 10?

Still, it could have been worse: I was expecting to have to stay up until at least 11 before he'd go down:-)

Yours, in mild frustration,
N.

8 comments:

Carli N. Wendell said...

Both my nieces are at that age--the little one, 2, is now nap-optional, and nobody knows how that nap is going to affect her mood/night time sleeping. They're so sneaky at that age!

Here from Michele.

carmilevy said...

I had a tough time adjusting to our kids' losing their daily naps. I always loved using that quiet time for "me" and "us" things...now they were up all the time!

But since we got the dog, he's provided them with so much to do during those down moments that my wife and I can steal away for a nap of our own if we want.

One door closes...many more open up.

Michele says hi, BTW. Did I tell you how enchanting I find your writing?

BreadBox said...

Carli: they are indeed...
Carmi: thanks for the comment and the compliment! We unfortunately said goodbye to our golden retriever this year (he was really old....) but even before he went he wasn't much help!

N.

Foster Dogs said...

Huskies love naps! Here via Michelle's.

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

My daughter never liked naps and when she was really, really tired, we would often have to resort to "dinosaur hunts" in the car. I have a son now who's just two weeks old, we'll see how his napping schedule unfolds.

And Michele sent me.

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Oh, and I contend that the main difference between children and adults is that adults want to take naps.

Bernie said...

Hey ther BB,
Thanks for stopping by just now. It is a pity that the comments have 'stalled', but hey, this will happen from time to time...

Sorry to hear about the trials and tribulations you are having with the little ones. I know what you are going through... Chin up!

Sort of here from Michele's, but I wanted to say HI, she told me too anyway in her absence!!

Linda said...

Ah, I so feel your pain! My little guy doesn't take a nap anymore, either. He gave them up by 2 1/2, which was HORRID for me. I cherished those few hours of solitude when his sister was in school and he napped.

I've come to the conclusion that if I want him to take a nap, I must put him in "time out" around 3:30 or so. And then I must wake him by 5:00. He is a crab otherwise. But to his credit, he will still go to bed at the same time, and still (most unfortunately) wake at the same time in the morning.