Saturday, March 28, 2009

Watching rowing

Two days when I would love to have watched rowing: today and tomorrow.
Today was the local team's annual regatta --- but we had strong thunderstorms come through the area. Tomorrow is the rather larger event -- the Boat Race (which requires no extra qualifiers, except, perhaps the year). Unfortunately, the owners of the rights to the race are greedy, and as such are unwilling to provide a live internet feed to the world. Instead, it is available on a channel I don't have access to.
Were it a Saturday race, I could go down to my local bar and ask them to play it, but since in this neck of the woods the bars are shut on Sundays, I'm out of luck.
And so, once again, I'm going to hope that my slow dsl connection stays connected for the span of the race (four or five years ago the connection died half an hour before the start of the race, and I spent two hours on the phone waiting for tech support to tell me how to fix it) and that I can at least listen with my ears and imagine with my eyes.

Yours, pissed off tremendously at the fact that I can't watch the race live,
N.

No comments: