Friday, July 6, 2007

Suggested recipes for

a Bastille Day meal? LOML and I, in an effort to raise our sprogs with an appreciation for the world, have a tradition that we try to celebrate special days: for Chinese New Year we made longevity noodles and other traditional dishes: for Canada Day we had pancakes with Nova Scotian maple syrup: for St George's day and Shakespeare's birthday, of course, it was a standing rib roast with Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and gravy.

Saturday a week from now it will be Bastille Day: we're planning a breadmaking day for the little ones plus some friends (bread is wonderful for involving kids in measuring, mixing, kneading, etc...) and are thinking that we should turn it into a dinner party afterwards. So: any suggestions for food for a Bastille Day celebration? Or kid-friendly activities?

Thanks in advance!

N.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I like how you are introducing your "sprogs" to different ideas, different cultures. Fascinating!
Here from Michele's. If I think of some ideas for your celebration, I'll send them your way!

Anonymous said...

Hope your LOML ad my LOML are not the same person!!!

Michele sent me!!

BreadBox said...

Wordnerd -- I'd appreciate it! The sprogs love the parties too: they get to play dress-up, decorate the dining table, eat funny foods and everything!

Belle: my LOML is on the left side of the atlantic right now: where is yours? (I suspect that they are different:-)

N.

Pat said...

To start have my favourite aperitif : kir which is a glass of white wine with a dash of cassis.
Start with cucumbers in marinade followed by duck with orange and cointresu and then a little cheese to cleanse the palate and finish with chocolate mousse.
This is only a suggestion and may not be suitable for your children.
Bon appetit!
Michele says bonjour!

BreadBox said...

Pi: sounds like a delicious idea for a menu. I'll have to think about that: for the kids the food would be fine (they are learning how to eat good grownup food all the time!) I'd probably substitute blackcurrant syrup with seltzer for the kir for them (and kir royale for us grownups!)

Thanks for the suggestion!
N.

Pat said...

Ha ha I see you know your kirs!

BreadBox said...

PI: oh, yes, I know my kirs! Unfortunately here in the rural south-east US it can be hard to find good cassis, but even the imitation stuff works out pretty well!
It's almost as good on a summers day as a glass of pimms!
N.

Linda said...

I found this:

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Bastille-Day/Detail.aspx

perhaps you can glean a few recipes from that link. I just googled "Bastille Day recipes" and got a TON of links. I like allrecipes.com, so I passed THAT one along!

BreadBox said...

Linda: thanks for the link!

N.

Grandmother Wren said...

Hello, Michelle sent me.
I think I'd better use Linda's link too and find some recipes.
My husband's name is Bastille and before I married him, I'm embarassed to say I missed that day in history class.
My idea of a celebration was to put a Burger King crown on his head and rush his recliner in an overthrow?
I'm checking out Linda's links...