Friday, July 13, 2007

Cause it's raining, raining in my heart....

Listening to Buddy Holly, which is appropriate today: not that it is raining in my heart: but it is raining, in an apartment.

More specifically, it is raining in the apartment of two graduate student friends of mine, and so they are staying in a hotel for a few days while the pipes are fixed. LOML and I decided that it would be a good idea to have them over for dinner, to save them having to eat out at a restaurant for at least one night. So hopefully they are going to come over this evening. Something simple, nothing fancy: probably breaded chicken fillets (pounded first, then sauted in a hot skillet) with squash and potatoes. Oh, and corn. LOML is going to phone up the fruit-picking place and make sure that they have some, and drive out there this afternoon. We are indeed in need of great corn again!

And while I'm at home with the sprogs, I'm going to get started on the breads for tomorrow --- including brioche for french toast!

Yours, already cooking in my mind,
N.

9 comments:

Paula said...

Oh my. I love homemade French toast. Haven't done that for ages!

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious, isn't it odd how you put more effort into a meal when someone other than your kids are going to be eating it? Or maybe that's just me! I used to love to cook, now every meal is an argument with someone about how they don't like what we're having(I have 3 kids & I can't think of a single meal that they all like)
Here from Micheles today have fun cooking.

Bev Sykes said...

So did the "rain" start on Friday the 13th?

(Here from Michele...you're a good person to give the guys a dinner)

BreadBox said...

Hi MizUV, Becky, Bev,
Thanks for visiting: yes, we do put a bit more effort in when it is for guests, but at the same time, we're weird --- we put a lot of time into cooking even when it is just the kids and us. Just the kids, we might just go for very basic! If we're included, we do more:-) To tell the truth, we sometimes invite guests over just to justify the extra effort:-)



Nope, the rain started a few days back, but I didn't hear until yesterday that they were having problems (and we were busy last night with other guests, so couldn't invite them immediately!)

I like to think that their Friday 13 is lucky this month!
N.

Sue said...

Thanks for visiting :) -- can you come over and cook? I am dying for some good homemade french toast :) too bad about the rain though :)

Linda said...

mmmmm...brioche....

your chicken meal sounds wonderfully delish! What do you bread it in? I always seem to have a problem getting the breading to stay on the chicken when I saute mine....any hints?

Michele sent me today - but I am a regular reader - you're on my RSS!

BreadBox said...

Linda: I usually make my own breadcrumbs, but don't have any in the freezer today, nor any old bread to use to make them, so I'm getting store-bought ones --- the big trick to getting them to stay on is the
flour - egg - breadcrumb trick: dredge the chicken pieces in seasoned flour and make sure to knock off all the excess flour. This last step is ultra-important. You just want a thin coat of flour, just enough to form a layer that the egg can glue to, not thick enough to break. Now dip the flour in beaten eggs, so that the egg wets the piece all over. Now dip immediately into the seasoned breadcrumbs, and place on parchment paper or a plate. Do all the pieces at once, fairly rapidly, and cook immediately in hot oil.

Hope that this helps --- I suspect that your problem might be excess flour.

N.

awareness said...

One should not go strolling through blogland on an empty stomach!

Dinner sounds delish......

Michele sends her reagards

BreadBox said...

Awareness: if you are in NB, Canada, and anywhere near Woodstock with an empty stomach, let me recommend that you get thee hither to Fusion on Nain St -- an amazingly good restaurant for such a small town: really good, interesting food, ridiculously not-expensive, beautiful ambience and tremendous service!

Thanks for visiting!

N.