Thursday, July 26, 2007

Better news for me...

I am relieved to see that the flood warning posted Sunday from Windsor to the Bell Weir lock (which includes the area where my parents live) has been downgraded to a flood watch: still some concern, but in my parents case specifically it eases my worries greatly: they are far enough from the river that I now don't expect them to have any major problems.
However, while my family's situation seems much better, it is clear that there are hundreds of thousands still in trouble: did I hear correctly that there are 340,000 homes without water still? That is very distressing. It may not be a disaster on the level of Katrina, as CNN keeps pointing out ("Oooohhhh, look, Britain's floods are nothing by comparison to ours") but then over here we have a governing philosophy of "Government is incompetent: let's prove it", whereas I get the impression that Blair and Brown at least strive to be competent!

Yours, in some relief,
N.

3 comments:

Cornish Dreamer said...

Glad to hear that your parents our out of danger of flooding. It must be a huge relief.

Yes, according to the newspapers this morning, 340,000 are still without running water. However, the water companies are delivering water in large tanks, so nobody will go thirsty.

The UK press seem to think it's a major catastrophe (which I think is an exaggerated use of language) and are reporting it to the absolute maximum. It is, however, a crisis, something the UK has never had to cope with before. So it is interesting how the new PM deals with it, although the infrastructure was luckily already in place.

Carli N. Wendell said...

We didn't have water for a few days a few weeks ago, and it was terrible. Hope things get better across the pond soon. Here from M.

BreadBox said...

Thanks RT, Carli: it looks (at least as recently as I've checked on the web) as though things are going to be okay.

N.