Saturday, July 28, 2007

Dinner tonight

I think that we are all in serious need of comfort food right now --- not sure exactly why that is, but I am sensing a slight ultrasensitivity in everyone in the house today --- and the weather is miserable, and the corn in the store looked awful, so corn isn't going to cut it tonight.
I bought a chicken (organic, raised in the mountains of NC north of here, I believe, so it is not quite local, but it is a flavourful brand...), carrots, potatoes and red bell peppers. We have onions, bratwurst and bacon in the fridge, and bread dough ready to bake on the counter. I think that I'm going to stuff the chicken with lemon and garlic, wrap it in a layer of bacon, and throw sausages in the pan round it, and roast it at a high-ish temperature, with potatoes parboiled then roasted in the juices, roasted red peppers and vichy-style carrots as colour and vegetables.
The carrots I slice coarsely, and then boil in lightly salted water until the carrots are cooked and the water is almost gone: then add a little sugar and some butter and cook until the rest of the water is gone, to give a lovely buttery caramel flavour to the carrots.

Can you guess that I haven't had lunch, and hence I'm hungry?


Yours, salivating in advance!
N.

3 comments:

Begered said...

mmmm...what time is dinner? You are making me hungry! I hope you enjoy your dinner and that the mood around the house improves.

Michele sent me today :)

Catherine said...

Michele sent me to remind me I haven't even had breakfast yet :) Your blog alway makes me feel hungry (I'm sure the chicken will be delicious)

BreadBox said...

Begered: Dinner is at 6:30 eastern time, or so: I'm going to enjoy the dinner, and so are the sprogs. As for LOML, it depends on where dinner is eaten.

Catherine: I've already pulled a little side-piece of meat off the chicken, and yes, it's good:-)