Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I need an excuse

I definitely need an excuse --- to try making pork pies. Like sausage rolls, these are to me an unsung delicacy of traditional English cuisine: hot water crust, with a solid, crusty, almost crunchy bite to it: the jellied texture of the aspic around the filling, this is the stuff of legendary ploughmen's lunchtimes. But I need an excuse to try to make them --- I fear that without a decent reason to succeed, I'll fail, and in failing, lose the will to try again....
St George's day is the obvious --- or perhaps at a pinch November 5th --- but those are both so far away. So what's a poor dislocated soul to do?

Yours, far from home,
N.

4 comments:

kenju said...

Michele sent me, Breadbox. Pork pies were mentioned in one of my favorite storybooks as a child, and I always wondered what they were like. You should try them, no matter what time of year.

BreadBox said...

Judy: what was the storybook? Do you remember? It might be nice to read the sprogs a story with pork pies in and get them to persuade me to make them!

N.

Cornish Dreamer said...

I can't think of anything better than a picnic lunch with a cucumber sandwich, finished off with a mini pork pie. Who needs excuses when the taste is good enough?!

BreadBox said...

RT: When I travel back to England, my mother always knows that there are some things I like her to have in the house as soon as I get in --- some Lancashire cheese (or Cheshire, at a pinch), some good bread, and a box of M&S mini pork pies. At least one box. It doesn't last long:-)

N.