Sunday, July 8, 2007

The French menu for saturday...

is not yet complete, but it is beginning to shape up. To begin with we will have a lunch/brunch prior to the breadmaking, of French Toast (aka Pain Perdu): so I need to make some brioche middle of the week. This is good, as I haven't had a brioche-worthy excuse for ages, and I may have enough dough left to make cinnamon buns as well.... and for those who haven't had my cinnamon buns (actually the ones from Julia Child's Baking with Julia) let's just say that they are moderately good. Now go away and let me eat them.

Then we'll have an afternoon of children's breadmaking (2,3 and 4 year olds love this. So we will have on hand a 2 year old, a 3 year old and a 4 year old!)

For the late afternoon/early evening meal, we will start with Elizabeth David's Cream of Mushroom Soup (from, I believe, French Provincial Cookery) tarted up a little, perhaps, with just a dash of something.....
We will follow this with a main course --- but for the weather, I'd love to do a Boeuf Bourguignon, but we may choose to do something entirely different, since it is likely to be hot. Both these courses, of course, will be accompanied by excellent fresh crusty bread, baked by the sprogs.
To finish, I think that we'll probably have some sort of tarte, perhaps aux pommes
or aux fraises. We'll have to see what fruit looks good at the Farmers' Market on Thursday this week!

So, it's beginning to take shape:-) The Pain Perdu idea was from Boo this morning: while eating bacon and scrambled eggs, she proclaimed, "We haven't had French Toast for ages" at which LOML and I looked at each other and said "Bastille Day!"

N.

No comments: