Friday, September 14, 2007

Sometimes I sit here

Sometimes I sit here, as I have at least a couple of times this week, and think:
"I have nothing at all to say", and even worse, "I have nothing at all to say that would be of interest to anyone reading this blog".

Well, on occasions like that I have to remind myself that I am writing this blog for myself, and not for those who read it: and if I write boring stuff that you don't want to read, that's okay: just don't read it!

Please don't get me wrong: I love the fact that there are people out there who visit me, and love even more the fact that some of you comment of your own accord! And so many of those who visit via other blogs ("Hi Michele!" [waves]) also contribute words of wisdom, not just words of hello!
But I am writing this for me, as an act of fun, an act of discipline, and an act of middle-aged rebellion:-) (It's cheaper than a sports car, and much less damaging to a marriage than having a lover!) Mainly the fun part, and a little bit of discipline: trying, for example to write something, no matter how trite, each day for a while.

Having just annoyed the hell out of everyone who visits, let me just say thanks, thanks, thanks for visiting anyway in spite of the trite, ignoring the boring, and for leaving words, often of wisdom!

Of course, I still have nothing to say today.

Yours, gratefully, if boringly,
N.

7 comments:

November Rain said...

When I first did blog it was like that

:):)

we love you anyway and we never think what you write is boring

Michelle agrees with me

BreadBox said...

Thank you! And as much as I want to say "I don't care whether you like it", I'm glad to hear you say that:-)
N.

carmilevy said...

Your nothing is a whole lot more than most people's somethings. I found myself nodding along with you as I read this entry. So many days I wake up and the writer's brain just refuses to engage.

Bad enough that the words won't come: I can live with that. Worse is that the ideas don't seem to be brewing. When I'm "on", I'll close my eyes and literally see the themes take shape, like vivid outline/talking points that I can grab out of 3-dimensional space and start working with. But on a bad day, it's just a broken concrete playground.

Tea, dog, walks through the neighborhood, some quality time with my camera and a chat with a friend can often kickstart things. But when even that fails, and I'm looking at a deadline, it's brutal.

Focusing on blogging for a sec, you nailed it: we write for ourselves. That it appeals to others is a wonderful bonus. But in the end, my blog is my catharsis. And if I can't please myself first, then there's no way I'll ever please anyone else either. No wonder I love reading you so much!

Jennifer said...

I'm boring sometimes, for sure. I think everyone goes through dry spots! I enjoy your writing, though, even if it is for you...thanks for sharing with us :)

alice c said...

If you write the blog that you would like to read then other like-minded folks will want to read it to. And if you write the blog that makes you laugh or cry it will make them laugh or cry too.

You don't do boring so I can't comment on that!

awareness said...

Even though it is difficult at times to find the words and to remain true to "writing for ourselves" it is a wonderful daily act of discipline and fun.

You're so right....it is cheaper than a sports car (though I would REALLY like one of those) and it is much less damaging than an affair (don't want one of those) it is also (for me anyways) as more holistic way of figuring things out for myself. Writing is a way to unravel the thinking sometimes and I like that. Like Carmi mentioned, it can be so cathartic. It's like having a psychotherapist at my finger tips. The fact that some people can relate (as we all do here) to what I have written is such a buzz....a real smiling bonus.

keep on keeping on breadbox.....and may the force be with you.

rashbre said...

My blog is a bit like that. I generally try to do a picture and a few words every day. Its surprising just how much there is that happens or that is there to think or comment about. Occasionally I make a list in case I get stuck, but its usually time thats the robber in my case.

A thought provoking post!

rashbre