Saturday, September 8, 2007

Relaxing morning

This morning was relaxing. We woke up without plans for the day, other than
not to venture out too far from the house before about noon (there was a football game going on down the road at 1pm, and that does tend to clog the arteries of the highway.

At 11 we walked up the street to the local cafe, where LOML and I had coffee, the kids had juice, and nobody ate much of the baked goods we ordered (they were, to a baker, less than inspiring).

This was followed by wandering to a nice little craft-y shop nearby: they sell lots of stamping tools, jewelery supplies, art supplies, etc: they are local, not a chain: and the owners are lovely people who actually work in the store every day, rather than just paying minimum wage and living of others labour.

Skibo ended up with a puzzle -- a nice one, in which the pieces don't come out! (this is definitely a plus --- no pieces to keep track of!) and Boo with a little furry soft puppet. She wanted a larger one, which was rather more expensive, a very nice Siamese cat about the size of a real cat --- we told her if she waited to next week and postponed getting a toy this week, she could have it then --- but she's not ready yet for delayed gratification! Since her birthday is coming up in November, we'll get it for her then:-)
The store owner told us, though, that one of her best friends also has her eye on it: and her birthday is the week before Boo's, so she will probably get it first: oh the subtle difficulties and problems these little people called children visit upon us.

Yours, relaxed-ish
N.



making bread...

13 comments:

awareness said...

I love Saturdays and my Saturday routine. This morning I was up and out of the house before 7 am to head over to the market. All the early birds were there sipping coffee (me tea) and chatting while choosing produce from the abundance on display. I met up with a bunch of folks I hadn't seen in a while since I have missed my Sat. routine quite a bit over the past month and loved every waking minute of it. Afterwards, I stopped to grab all the papers and headed home where I turned on the CBC, made another cup of tea and read the news in peace and tranquility.

Very relaxing.......I wish we could have more than one Saturday a week, but then I guess it wouldn't be special would it?

thank you for the comment.....look forward to you thoughts on living in Ont. and NB.

gautami tripathy said...

I am sure the shopkeeper was hinting you to buy that toy now.

What kind of puzzle was that?

Michele keeps sending me here and I am lovin' it!

scrappintwinmom said...

Sounds like it was a great day! We took our girls out for what we call "International Fun Day" - we went to a county fair, took them out to lunch, then came home and had a swim in the pool. Here via Michele!

BreadBox said...

Awareness -- sounds like a wonderful Saturday morning!
Gautami -- actually, she made sure to mention that she would get another one in so that they would both have one: the difficulty is that the other girl's birthday is the week before Boo's -- and she is most *definitely* the type to flaunt the new cat. If you look flaunt up in the dictionary, her picture is right there...
N.

-E said...

Kids! I'm sure by then there will be a new toy she wants even more hehe.

Michele sent me, have a great weekend!

BreadBox said...

Oh, quite probably, E, quite probably!

N.

Sara said...

Hello, Michele sent me to say that sounds like a wonderfully relaxing morning!

Mother and I got up early and went over to a friend's house that was having a yard sale. I ended up getting some new hand towels for mother...

Then we came home and I actually did much of nothing today...

gautami tripathy said...

I suppose you don't think I am haunting you. What can I do? Michele keeps sending me back.

I did see that girl's picture at the "Flaunt" entry..:D

Have a great sleep!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

The weekend is great...especially Saturday!

Michele sent me here.

mckay said...

God bless the weekends! thanks for sharing your weekend with me.

michele sent me.

mck.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Go back into that store right now and get it before the other people do! (LOL)..Well, that is exactly what I would do...and put it away---hidden---so your little one won't find it, but it's ready and waiting for her Birthday!

shoeaddict said...

Here from Michele's to say that it sounds like a lovely morning. Are you a baker? You have a bakery? I love baked goods!!

Your Boo sounds like me. I have a difficult time with delayed gratification.

BreadBox said...

Shoeaddict: I am a baker, and have made bread for a few restaurants, and have taught a bunch of one-off classes; but I don't have a bakery, and am purely an amateur as far as baking goes.. a pretty good one, but still an amateur.
N.