Friday, June 29, 2007

What I'm listening to right now

Or rather, which ogg file was playing on the drive to work this morning: loud enough to sing along to; almost gospel, but not quite; the slightly nasally brilliant voice of Arlo Guthrie singing Last Train To Glory. Quite probably the only thing that I think that I miss by not being religious (other than the false sense of security) is the music --- and that I can listen to, sometimes even get to sing, as a heathen non-believing agnostic.

Yours in song,
N.

Last Train To Glory, Arlo Guthrie

I want to hop on the last train in the station;
Won't need to get myself prepared.
When you're on the last train to glory, people,
You'll know you're reasonably there.

Maybe you ain't walked on any highways.
You've just been flying in the air.
But, if you're on the last train to glory, people,
You'll know you must have paid your fare.

Maybe you've been lying down in the jailhouse;
Maybe you're hungry and poor.
Maybe your ticket on the last train to glory
Is the stranger who is sleeping on your floor.

Now, I ain't a man of constant sorrow,
And I ain't seen trouble all day long.
We are only passengers on the last train to glory
That will soon be long, long gone.

2 comments:

MaR said...

I know Arlo Guthrie, but I don't know this song...so I'll check it out in youTube :)
Michele sent me, have a wonderful weekend!

BreadBox said...

This is one that took me several hearings to really grow on me... but it did!

N