Saturday, June 23, 2007

Simple Fare

Simply put, simply delicious.
Pork chops thick cut, on the bone. Seasoned, just salt and pepper, grilled just long enough on both sides. Not too little, for pork can be dangerous, as we are all taught (though the days of a risk of trichonosis from commercial pork in the US are long gone, I gather: and it is now known that cooking to an internal temperature of 140 C is sufficient to kill it anyway) but not too much either, for dried out pork is inedible!
Corn (I wish it was freshly picked from the garden, but that is still weeks away) soaked in the husks for 20-30 minutes, then thrown on a hot grill, turning every couple of minutes or so. Remove the blackened outer leaves and continue cooking until the kernels are just turned with a touch of caramelization. I usually count on between 10 and 20 minutes, depending on the number of outer leaves, the age of the corn, the temperature of the grill, etc.
New potatoes, boiled until the tip of a sharp pointed knife slips in and out easily. Drain and toss with melted butter and coarsely chopped fresh mint.
Broccoli, so the sprogs have trees to eat. No, really, broccoli is okay, I guess, but the little ones really seem to like it.

Nothing fancy, no special preparation, a meal even I could cook, even if I didn't know how to cook.
But I do, and I can still cook it. Nananana booboo.:-)

N.

No comments: