Saturday, June 30, 2007

Terror

I grew up in Britain: I remember as a child hearing of car bombs. I remember as a teenager learning to watch for unattended packages on trains, buses, at stations and airports. I understand why there are no garbage cans in London.

And today, I'd love to be able to watch the ordinary news in Britain, to know that they are not displaying over there the sense of panic, of sheer terror, that the CNN anchors are showing. It certainly seems that the latest incidents are not a cue to start running the streets shouting "the sky is falling, the sky is falling..." For starters, it certainly appears to the untrained eye that the doubtless evil and evil-intentioned people behind the two car bomb attempts and the fiery-drive-tae-Glasgae are, lets say, lacking something. Like an understanding of how things work: a clue, shall we say?

It is my hope that the folks over there are living life as they always have: secure in the knowledge that while there are idiots abroad in the land, with evil intent, cocooning oneself in a shell is not the answer.

Yours, an idiot abroad, without evil intent,
N.

Update: At least CNN has a sense of perspective. Having spent the entire day spreading fear about the car in Glasgow, they are quite content at 9 to switch back to normal programming: a rerun at that, of Larry King interviewing Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia (widow of George). The interview was interesting enough last week when it first aired, but....

3 comments:

Cornish Dreamer said...

Hello N.

My sister lives and works in inner London. Whenever there are terrorist threats, we all worry for her safety down here in Cornwall.

I have a few friends that live in London too, and the thing that always amazes me is that London doesn't stop (it might hesitate, perhaps for breath), but the people always seem to just pick themselves up and get on with things, as I'm sure they have in Glasgow.

BreadBox said...

My parents and LOML's too live in the vicinity of London --- I remember growing up having to go through a police checkpoint every day for a week on the way to school when there was a suspected threat against Heathrow: my sister was on the tube the day of the 7/7 bombings: I don't mean to minimize legitimate fears that people have.
I do however, worry that the way that this is being treated here is blown way out of proportion to reality. If this is the best terror that can be exported, we are very lucky. I hope that we remain this lucky. I don't think that chicken-littling the situation is going to help our luck.

N.

Cornish Dreamer said...

I see what you mean N and agree.

The press in general seems to explode all kinds of news out of proportion. But isn't it playing into the terrorists hands?