Sunday, June 10, 2007

Computers

Computers have three components, as far as I can tell: software, hardware, and an un-named yet critical other component. The lower-tech bits of the box, not the motherboard, hard drives or dvdrw's, but the physical box, the power supply, the on-off button, etc.

I can deal with software. I understand that. I'm happy repartitioning a drive (usually), installing linux, etc. I can, after a few deep breaths, deal with hardware. I usually take the unusual step of reading and re-reading documentation, etc, but I am able to install a new hard drive, figure out the jumpers to make it master or slave, etc.

The third, un-named component, the one that anybody ought to be able to deal with, drives me nuts. It appears that, thanks to the on-off button breaking on our (admittedly old and cheap) computer, we will have to spring for a whole new machine. I tried opening the box, removing hard drives, cd rw, dvdrom, etc but still couldn't see how to open the box to get to the front where the switch is located. What a royal pain in the ar.....mpits.

Fume.

N.

2 comments:

Cornish Dreamer said...

I'm sure computers are designed to be awkward!

RT

BreadBox said...

These things are indeed sent to try us, it seems. Still, I have friends with boxes with spare hard-drive slots, so I am sure that I can recover all the stuff off the hard drives, even before I go out and buy a new desktop. If it weren't for the fact that that we have small children, I think that we would live quite happily with two laptops --- but with kids I'm happier having them work with a real keyboard and mouse, and a desktop system. Plus, I'm trying to make the laptops linux only, and there are still many annoying kid-friendly sites which insist on windows.....

N.