Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sunday dinner

Uninspired by dinner thoughts, LOML and I decided we'd just go with salad for this evening: with a grilled pork chop to go with it. And inspiration hit: all quantities are guesses at what I put in: I just added until it was right!

Marinated mushrooms and artichoke hearts
8oz mushrooms (I used half button, half baby bella: had them on hand)
8oz quartered artichoke hearts
4oz roasted red bell peppers
4oz toasted chopped walnuts
4oz pitted, chopped kalamata olives

Toss together at least 1 hour before eating in a balsamic vinaigrette: I used a mix of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, touch of mustard, salt and pepper. If I were not hoping the children would eat some too, I'd add some crushed red pepper flakes or little srirachi thai hot sauce. There should be enough vinaigrette to soak into the mushrooms: but not so much as to overwhelm the salad.
Serve on a mix of spring greens.

I've also used sunflower seeds in this instead of walnut, and would consider throwing both in: they bring different flavours and textures to the salad.

Yours, nutty,
N.

No comments: