Friday, August 31, 2007

One of those moments

This has a happy ending. Nobody was hurt in the creation of this post, other than a bowl of petunias.

This afternoon, on returning home from work rather early, a few minutes earlier than LOML, Skibo and Boo, I was not surprised to find the house empty (well, except for the dog and two cats, that is....)
I tried calling LOML's cell phone --- no reply. No problem, it is probably in the car, or switched off, or drained. Not uncommon.
Pootle around the kitchen, clean some things up, listen to the news, laugh at the current state of embarrassment of politics...

And the phone rings. Someone has found LOML's wallet -- and clearly is uncomfortable turning it over to anyone other than the face in the drivers license....
So we can't do anything about until LOML gets home.

Another twenty minutes go by, and another. I start to call friends: "Is LOML with you?" -- most of them are out, a few say no, but they'll contact me if....

Finally after they are two hours late, I prepare to start driving the roads around the 15 miles from here to the school: and as I am leaving the house, they drive up.

Yours, in relief,
N.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pootle? That's new to me, but I like it. It's fair to say, I'm an avid pootler. Happy weekend!

BreadBox said...

Surcie: one often describes a little car, driven by a, let's say, experienced lady or gentleman, wearing, let's say, a hat, as
pootling down the road
It sort of refers to movement, of a not very fast or very organized variety.

Glad to have given you a new word, especially one I love:-)
N.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of putter, which is kind of an aimless way of occupying yourself. But I like your word better.

David Edward said...

so what was the delay about???

BreadBox said...

The delay was that they had gone to a "bouncy castle" type place so that the sprogs could release some energy.
Cell phones were out of order, etc.
Tant pis, as they say.
N.