Saturday, August 4, 2007

A sad little Boo

We had L&R over for dinner this evening, which was wonderful: but at one point, Boo was sitting next to R, kicking her leg back and forth, which was clearly annoying him. He asked her to stop, and when she started acting up, I asked her to do so as well: at which point her four year old face crumpled, she ran out of the room and we heard tears emanating from within.

After some tears and some talk, it transpired that "I don't think that any of you really love me any more" --- I am sure it is normal, I am sure all parents go through the exact same phrase, I am sure, I am sure, I am sure, I am sure.... but at the same time, to hear your daughter say that to you is heartbreaking.
And what a lot of work to persuade her that we all do, indeed, love her very very very much....

Yours, heartbroken,
N.

9 comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I can believe a parent would think that. Michele sent me here.

Anonymous said...

I think Boo will get over it a lot quicker than you (possibly forgotten about it already?). I think it's just a phase kids go through sometimes.

Take care :)

Oh, and before I go, Michele says Hi!

Pat said...

Because darling(I would say) if we didn't love you we would ignore it when you behaved badly. Because we love you we want everybody else to love you and so we want you to always try to behave well, especially to other people. (and give a big kiss and a hug.)
We have our French 4 year old grand- child coming soon so I hope it works:)
Michele says hi!

BreadBox said...

She is definitely going through a "delicate" phase -- praise someone else and she takes it as a personal affront to her.... and I know it will pass, and I know not to take it personally... but... it's definitely a boo-ism for the "World according to Boo and Skibo" on the fridge.
N.

kenju said...

There is no child alive who has not said that to her parents; they know just how to pull on our heartstrings! I suspect she has already forgotten it.

Michele said to come over!

Anonymous said...

Aw, poor kid. She just needs a bit of reassurance, don´t worry too much.

Back in from Michele´s! See, the big bad Blizzard couldn´t keep me away! :D

mamashine said...

I've got a four year old too. I wish this kind of stuff didn't happen at my house but it does. I think maybe they're just getting old enough that those thoughts are occurring to them, and so they have to make sure it's not really a possibility.
Still heartbreaking though, I agree.

Michele sent me!

~A~ said...

4 year old girl drama can be like that. Then they chill out around 5 until they become 7. Then it evens out for a bit and then there's 10 year old girl drama.

Of course there's always the monthly spikes when the it's that time of the month for mom.

There are days when I'm happy to scoot the girls off to their friends houses so I can hang with the boys. They don't get all weird.

Laura McIntyre said...

Aww poor kiddie, such ashame she felt that way. I imagine it was all forgetten about pretty quickly, my 4 year old neice is like that