Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Favourite childrens books (and authors)

I mentioned in a previous post that Mem Fox is one of my favourite authors: and in response, Awareness asked if I knew another book, The Kissing Hand: I do, and love it too. So, as one of two proud parents of two proud owners of hundreds, perhaps thousands of childrens books.

I'm going to list a few of them: I'm not saying that they are necessarily favourites, but that they are ones that come easily to my mind. I'll try and add authors later, and perhaps even some more books too! If I name two books by a particular author or illustrator, take it as an endorsement of all their other books too! In Mem Fox's case, consider it as an especially enthusiastic endorsement that I name three!

Koala Lou, Mem Fox and Pamela Lofts
Wombat Divine, Mem Fox and Kerry Argent
Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge, Mem Fox and Julie Vivas
The Kissing Hand, Audrey Penn
Big Mama Makes The World, Phyllis Root and Helen Oxenbury
Slinky Malinki, Lynley Dodd and Mallinson Rendel
Hairy McClary From Donaldson's Dairy, Lynley Dodd and ?
Zen Shorts, Jon Muth
Peg and the Yeti, Kenneth Oppel and Barbara Reid
Peg and the Whale, Kenneth Oppel and Terry Widener
Stephanie's Ponytail, Kenneth Munsch and Michael Martchenko
The Paperbag Princess, Kenneth Munsch and Michael Martchenko

More to come...

Yours, in libris interruptus,

N.

P.S. Thanks for some extras in the comments! Shel Silverstein, Dr. Seuss, Maurice Sendak are all well liked in this house too --- but they are better known, at least in the US than some of the ones above.

7 comments:

Anne said...

Hi, Michele sent me!

I haven't thought of Mem Fox's books in many years, my kids are grown now. When my daughter was a wee pup I'd love to read Time for Bed to her, that was my favorite for a long time.

Anonymous said...

congrats on being blog of the day!

As my son is now almost 21, I will give you two oldies but goodies,

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein and Where the Wild Things Are. Always favorites!

now, go make bread and cheese!

Paula said...

Hello, Michele sent me! Wow, I haven't heard of any of those books. My fave children's books are Velveteen Rabbit and Secret Garden. I also like most of Dr. Seuss.

Anonymous said...

Michelle sent me. I do love a good read, but it is reading with my grandson's that give me the most pleasure. I will look those books up. Thank you for the suggestions.

awareness said...

hey there....

great list....

here's a few others off the top of my head.

Chicka Boom.
The Giving Tree
Something from Nothing...Phoebe Gilman
The Paperbag Princess...Robert Munsch
Max's Midnight Moose....ME! However it hasn't found a publishing home as yet.....still hoping.

Hey Breadbox.....I just read on Michele's blog that you're a male. I don't know why i assumed you were a female. I listed a bunch of "N" names in my comment section wondering what the "N" stood for....all of my guess are for the female persuasion. i feel like a goofball.

:)

Dear AL said...

Out of all the kids books I've read the only childrens book author I remember is Jamie Lee Curtis, just don't remember the title of the book.

I know... I'm sorry!

Dear AL said...

Oops! Forgot!

Hi, Michele sent me.