Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Naps are evil

Sometimes, I admit, I do like to take a nap. And if I were home at that time in the afternoon more often, it would probably be more often that I took a siesta.

The sprogs, however, have just about finished their nap-dependence -- Boo hasn't had a nap in weeks, although occasionally she will look like she's about to fall asleep: and Skibo doesn't seem to be willing to nap more than once a week or so.

And on those days when one of them does have a nap, it seems to always be my turn to put them to bed. We still read to them and sing to them and tell poems to them, in my case at least, until they are asleep. Most nights, anyway. Boo is getting better about closing her eyes and quietly going off to sleep if she's already drowsy, just not quite there yet.

Today, Skibo had taken a nap. And when he does nap, he takes a serious nap --- from about 1:30 this afternoon until about 4:30. And so, when bedtime rolled around he was far from ready to fall asleep. It's been now over an hour of reading and singing and poems and snuggling and passing him his cup of water again and again and again. He still wasn't asleep when I left the room, but I told him if he was quiet enough I'd come and check on him in a few minutes. And I will: I just need to make sure that it is a big enough "few" that he's asleep by then, and deep enough that I won't rouse him!

I'm really torn by this: I love putting them to bed and helping them get to sleep, and will miss it dreadfully when they are older -- on the other hand, I won't miss nights like tonight one bit!

Yours, in verse, song, on paper, over and over and over,
N.

3 comments:

awareness said...

naps can be evil......i remember that transition.....however my son only ever had mouse naps when he was a wee one. And, he never slept through the night ONCE until he was 4 or 5 years old.

However......naps are also my friend. Since my sleep has been disturbed for so many years of child disruptions, naps are embraced by me......when i can manage to sneak one in.

Jennifer said...

Nobody naps here anymore :( Therefore, the only day I nap is Sunday, when hubby is home to help watch kids while I snore! ;) Thanks SO much for visiting me today!! I am so enjoying meeting all my new friends (although I think I've been here before!)
And it's about 90 degrees now, at 9:40 PM...I hope I can sleep tonight! Might have to cuddle with an ice pack tonight! :)

BreadBox said...

Awareness: "mouse naps": what a lovely turn of phrase! Skibo naps so soundly that it's ridiculous -- and then every night he wakes up once, or twice, or more.... Still, he's only three (this coming Saturday) so there's time for him to learn...

Jennifer: hope that your day as Michele's site of the day has been a wonderful one!

N.