Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Blowing my own trumpet

or rather, my own trombone....
I was invited a few weeks ago to a banquet honouring a handful of the very best students at the university, those to whom we have given a free ride -- full scholarship, tuition, room, board, interesting academically relevant trip each year, books, you name it.  And each year there is a banquet.  But to my surprise when I read the invitation more carefully (yes, I know, I tell my students all the time, read things carefully --- all I can say is that I eventually did, and it was not too late!) the banquet was not in my student's honour.  Each of the ten or so students was invited to nominate one person (professor or otherwise on campus) who had had a huge impact on her or his experience here. 
And my student picked me --- which makes me very pleased!  She's done a fantastic job here, and is off to graduate school next year, and I expect great things from her in the future.

Yours, honoured, and proud, both as the honouree and of the honourer,
N.

No comments: