Thursday, June 26, 2008

Restaurants

We live in a small town (actually, a very small town outside a small town) and we don't have a lot of good restaurants around. Since it is a college town there are quite a few eating places, but few of them are particularly interesting.
And a couple of years ago, at thanksgiving, two of the more interesting ones burned down. Most especially missed is the Thai place: it was a lovely little hole in the wall, but good food prepared and served well, reasonably priced.
We had heard that they were putting in office space where the restaurants had been: but to my surprise I saw that a Japanese restaurant had opened up: so I swung by a few days ago, and discovered that in place of the Thai restaurant, we were getting a Thai place!
Oh joy!
A bunch of us tried to go there for lunch today, but it isn't open yet (and there is no sign outside suggesting when it will be open --- but peering through the windows it looked like it would be soon: chairs and tables in place, etc). So we tried the Japanese place, which *is* open --- but it was too busy to seat us all. Fortunately. I saw a colleague there when we went in, and I asked him later how it had been: I trust his opinion, so I probably won't be back there.
All in all, there is still just one restaurant around as far as I am concerned, in a twenty mile radius, that is: our favourite place, the sushi place by the lake. Nothing comes close.

Yours, down on eating out, up for eating in,
N.

No comments: