Friday, June 20, 2008

Bookstore friends

We had our bookstore friends over for supper tonight (she runs the store, he is a court reporter: we've thought that they are delightful people since the day we met them almost four years ago): it was, as always, a lovely, gentle evening.
A simple meal: thick cut pork chops, pan seared: courgettes (zucchini over here) and yellow squash, cut into thick slices, and sauted until dark brown: corn on the grill. I threw together an experimental pan sauce: I minced a couple of shallots, threw them in the hot pan after the chops were cooked, sauteed them for a minute or two, and then poured a cup or so of apple juice in (I'd use non-alcoholic cider, but it's not available here at this time of year, and the alcoholic version just didn't seem right today: I was after the sweetness, not the alcohol), a spoonful of coarse dijon mustard, and a good squirt of molasses: cooked it down, and added a couple of spoonfuls of heavy cream. And salt and pepper, of course.
If you like pan sauces, it's worth trying: easy, and LOML and our friends raved about it:-)

I've only been making pan sauces for a few months now, and while I don't make them every time I cook a steak or a chop, they are easy, and good on occasion!

Yours, saucily,
N.

No comments: