Monday, June 2, 2008

Acting the part of a student today

Geek alert. Geek alert. (Obligatory disclaimer: no chickens were harmed in the production of this geek post).

This afternoon I went to a class on using linux: I went mainly because the class is essentially a prerequisite to the next course: on using a rather moderately sized cluster of machines designed to work in parallel: and I want to supervise some work on that cluster --- so I decided to attend all the courses so that I am well informed.

It reminds me of what it is like to be a student: and especially, what it is like to be a student in a class in which you know most of the material. Or in today's case, all of the material: I wanted to jump up and volunteer to help teach the class: but I stayed put and stayed quiet. There'll be time to help out later if it gets harder: and I can give some of the other students help tomorrow morning if they need help keeping up. And since they are already working with/for me, it makes it easier for me to jump in...

Yours, in geekiness,
N.

No comments: