Monday, June 2, 2008

An early morning Boo-ism

Boo came into our bedroom this morning, relatively early (i.e. she woke up herself, rather than needing to be awakened! and it was a school day!) and said "Mummy, Daddy, do you know what I dreamed?"
We denied all knowledge.
"I dreamt that Miss G was playing 'Make and break harbour' on her radio at school".
I explained that I didn't think that Miss G would know that song, and asked if perhaps she'd like to sing it to her: Boo replied that she didn't know it well enough.
So I suggested we lie there and sing it together: we did: it was a beautiful moment, absolutely gorgeous.


Now, I've been singing her the classic Stan Rogers' lament about the end of the fishing industry in the Maritimes as a bedtime song for months now --- she first requested it after I'd gone round the house singing it for a while: it's a beautiful song, so sad, yet at the same time, full of the hope one can find in the most desperate surroundings. And since she first requested it, our bedtime ritual has included the following:
Me: "Who would like a song or a poem?"
Skibo: "I want what Boo wants"
Boo: "Copycat. I want Railroad cat (TS Eliot), Train Whistle Blowing (aka Morningtown Ride), Monsieur le President (aka Le Deserteur) and Make and Break Harbour"
Within the year, I expect to be doing a full length concert for them each night:-)

Yours, sung out, out loud, and loving every minute of it,
N.

1 comment:

awareness said...

i'm all veklempt! wonderful vignette.....its moments like these that make up the beauty of our lives.

am planning to write about songs and anthems tonight later....have had my mind on Stan Rogers ALL day!