Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Not new to dogs




Awareness welcomed us earlier to dogland --- and I thought that perhaps I should point out that we are not new to dogs: we've had a dog now for more than 10 years --- our Sheltie/Chow mix was probably 5 years old when we adopted her in 1997, so she is really old now: unfortunately, it is beginning to show. I should point out that these photos were taken about 5 years ago, when they were both merely middle-aged or so!
We had to say goodbye to our Golden Retriever this past summer: we adopted him in August 2000, and he was probably already 6 then: he was definitely very old when he died this year: his face had a ton of grey and white in it. Thirteen years old is very old for a retriever, I gather, and I hope that we made his life fun for the years we shared with him!

Yours, doggedly,
N.

2 comments:

Cornish Dreamer said...

Poor old thing.Yes, 13 is quite old for a large dog, although there were two golden retrievers up the road from my Mum's house that lived to 20 and 21! I don't know what the secret was, they didn't even show signs of arthritis, which is common in large dogs.

Some beautiful pictures, and both were gorgeous looking dogs.

RT

Flowerpot said...

I'm sure your retriever had a wonderful time living with you, N. Happy days and lovely pictures.