Thursday, October 4, 2007

In praise of Burma

I discovered a few years ago that the country I had known in geography classes as Burma was now called Myanmar. This struck me as a pain (having to learn yet another new name) and yet probably justified: if the Chinese don't call Beijing by a name which sounds like Peking, we probably shouldn't either. And I assumed that Burma --- Myanmar was the same.
Today, however, I discovered that the name "Myanmar" was adopted by the military regime, and has been opposed by those opposed to the regime. And given the brutal nature of the current repression of dissent going on in Burma, I feel that the US, British and other governments are fully justified in the use of the name Burma for the time being.

Yours, because I care about getting names right,
N.

10 comments:

kenju said...

We were in Barbados a number of years ago, and we met a young couple from Burma who were medical students in Chicago, and in Barbados on their honeymoon. They were going back to their country after med school, and I often wonder what happened to them. What happened in their country is shameful.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Well, I'm so out of the loop where this is concerned, I didn't know that Burma wasn't Burma anymore! It will always be BURMA, to me!

Here from Michele tonight!

kenju said...

I came back, via MIchele, to say that I ALWAYS call it Burma! Can you imagine saying "Myanmar Shave?"

BreadBox said...

Kenju: I can imagine singing "Myanmar shadow, strolling down the avenue"....

Bobkat said...

It is Burma to me too. My dad was stationed there many many moons ago.

Michele sent me over to agree with you.

Cornish Dreamer said...

I didn't know that Burma wasn't Burma anymore. I just took it for granted what the news reporters have been saying. A new fact I should probably remember.

It's a terrible thing that's happening in that country, and an awful way to stifle/suppress a population.

Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

yeah, just think how easy geography use to be.

You'd need an extra week now just to figure out the former USSR ans Yugoslavia.

. . . and besides - who wants to see a Myanmarese Python.

michele sent me here to Bread Box (formerly known as Biscuit Basket)

awareness said...

RIGHT ON! Burma it surely is.

Havent been to Micheles yet.......made it here myself.

Anonymous said...

It is Burma for us. At least I never leant to call it Myanmar!

Junta is crushing thepeaceful movement. Hope the people get what they deserve.

Michele sent me here to dwell over it.

alice c said...

It is a difficult argument isn't it. Do we continue to call Zimbabwe by that name if we do not approve of the government which created it?