Saturday, October 27, 2007

Flu shots

LOML and Skibo were lucky enough to be able to get flu shots last week, at the school: however, since Boo was sick, she had to wait: and since I was driving my parents to the airport at the appointed time for the shots, I had to find another means of getting shot too.
Fortunately, the organization which provided the service was willing to give a raincheck on the shot for Boo, but it meant driving for 45 minutes to the big city (which is really only a small city, but it is the big city for us!) We decided to combine this with a trip to the zoo: and though I could have arranged to get a shot (actually yesterday morning!) through work, it seemed better that I go along and show Boo how getting vaccinations doesn't hurt at all.

The best laid plans of mice and breadmakers... we had timed everything perfectly: a quick trip to a fast food (yuck, I know, bad N, etc. etc. etc.) for early lunch, 45 minute trip to the city, appointment there at 12:30, then to the zoo.
First problem: although kids want to eat, they don't want to eat.
Second problem: Skibo has a splinter in his foot -- after eating, we drive back to the house to pick up implements of foot-torture: needle, bandaids, antibiotic cream, etc.
Third problem: Boo needs a potty break: I run her into the house.
Fourth problem: we've left stuff at the restaurant: swing back there, the stuff is still all there (including a little cash.... we got lucky!) We get on the road at last: thanks to starting out early, we are now just a few minutes behind: and LOML is driving, because I "drive too slowly".
Fifth problem: Skibo pipes up "I need to go potty". Pull over to gas station, run into the restaurants carrying him (his foot still has a splinter -- he can't walk fast), whip him in and out, and back on the road.
Thanks to LOML's driving and the complete non-intervention of any speed-checking law enforcers, we actually made it to the facility only a couple of minutes late. No problem.

We fill out forms, I pay for my shot, and go first --- the best nurse ever: I hardly feel a thing. Boo, on the other hand does her "I'm going to squirm and whine my way out of this if I can" act -- and eventually needs to be held firmly and bawls her poor little heart out. Fortunately after a couple of minutes she forgets why she's bawling, and settles down.

Off to the zoo, on which I'll have more to say in a separate post.

Yours, feeling shot,
N.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I got a shot yesterday too. I didn't feel it when they did it, but I cannot move my arm today....waaaaaahhhh!! :(

Paul Nichols said...

I still like the way you end your posts. Always creative.

I think I shoulda had a flu shot myself.

Smiler said...

Nobody likes getting shots but I find the flu shots truly do help. I love it when you say "she forgot what she was crying about". How old is Boo?

Wanted to thank you for coming by my blog (a few times) yesterday and leaving those nice comments. I usually comment back on my blog, but I wasn't keeping up yesterday and besides, when it's someone new I'm not sure whether they'll think of checking back in or not. So here I am! Have a great rest of the weekend.

Bobkat said...

This reminds me that I ought to go and get myself vaccinated.

That sounds like you had a bit of a trying time. Glad it all worked out okay!

awareness said...

I heard a report last week that the flu shots may not cover the anticipated flu viruses. How convenient is that?

Reading your post, I couldn't help but think of Robert Munsch's book "I Have to Go" Do you know that one? It's very funny.

Be made plans with kids eh? I could relate........it's best to just chuck them out the window because they rarely follow the gameplan we have in our adult heads.

Cornish Dreamer said...

Poor Boo, having injections isn't great at the best of times: worse if you're a child and don't know why you are having a sharp point jabbed into your arm!

That reminds me: I ought to go and get mine done: the NHS has decided that I am allowed to have a free flu jab. I'm not sure why I've been picked out as it's limited to over 50s and ill people...hmm maybe I am ill and they haven't told me(I can feel a touch of hypochondria coming on...)! ;@)