Saturday, October 13, 2007

I wish for the choice

The question was raised in the comments whether I have signed the Run, Al, Run
petition. I have not yet done so.
I'm dreadfully conflicted on this.
I think that Al Gore would be the best person currently running or being urged to run by more than a few hundred people: the best person to run as a democrat, the most likely to win, and the best person to be president.
I think that the Supreme Court made idiots of themselves seven years ago when they decided to install Bush, on dubious grounds, as president. He has been a disaster, and will live on in history, or rather in infamy, as such.
All that said, I am not sure that I want Al to run. I fear the power of the noisemakers, and I fear the issue of the environment. And I fear that if Al runs, the issue of the environment may become such a noisemaker issue that his running, win or not, could end up making it harder for a Democratic president to make the right sort of differences. Perhaps, just perhaps, standing on the sidelines is the right decision, not for his own future, for his own ambition, but perhaps it is the right decision for the country, and more importantly, for the world.

It is only perhaps, which is why I am still on the fence. And I may yet sign the petition. I just don't know. The environment is just that important. Terrorism is horrendous. 911 was horrific. But the environment could be the end.

Yours, running scared,
N.

5 comments:

kenju said...

I agree with you to a point. I just don't see how his running could be bad for any future Democratic prez to make a difference. The environment is a huge issue and I think the more attention we call to it - the better.

Bobkat said...

I like the fact that you have presented a balanced view here which shows how much conflict you feel over this. Noisemakers should always be kept a close eye on, but the flip side of course is that they are making a noise for a reason.

The environment is a very good reason to amke a noise. It will certainly be the end for civilisation as we know it. Eventually.

Geggie said...

I am just as conflicted as you are. I'm beginning to think that he can make a bigger positive impact doing what he's doing now.

awareness said...

INteresting point N. I think Jimmy Carter is a classic example of being more productive on the so called sidelines.......now an international "elder," Carter's work will continue to resonate beyond any of the achievements he had in office.

Al Gore may have found his calling.....who knows?

awareness said...

Yes, you certainly can't be a one issue politician......the environment, which is always driven by the state of the economy with respect to the amount of attention it is given, won't always be in the limelight if there aren't people like Gore taking the reigns.