Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ed Schultz's commentary on teachers

Ed Schultz is one of the few truly progressive, liberal voices in the media these days, his show following immediately on the heels of one of the few similar voices, Rachel Maddow, on MSNBC.

This evening he gave a very impressive commentary on the state of teachers in this country:  it was a beautiful piece, sharing memories of his mother, interviews with current teachers, thoughts on balancing budgets on the backs of teachers, and other great ideas.

I'd like to give a huge shout out to the teachers I know locally, all of whom are absolutely fantastic, hard working, dedicated, effective, wonderful individuals, and I feel very lucky to have my children in your care.

I'd love Schultz's statistic on New Jersey to be wrong (it feels wrong, but I suspect that it is correct): he says 6.69% of NJ residents are millionaires, with 212K millionaire households, and that there are only about 113K teachers. And he's vetoed the millionaires tax increase, and is planning to balance the budget on the backs of teachers. Disgusting.

Yours, sharing an amazing paean to teachers,
N.

No comments: