Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Public transport

or, as they say over here, Public Transit.
We are blessed here in my little community to have a good public transport system (at least, for an area like here): there is a bus once an hour which will take me to work, and I have tried in the past to use it, with some success: it is only once an hour, which is inconvenient, and the time it arrives at work makes it tricky, but it's still a lovely service, and I was planning to use it more in the next few months.
And so you can imagine my delight to see that they've changed the timetable: still once an hour, but it arrives at a much better time: in effect, meaning that I can leave forty minutes later and still get to work in good time.

Unfortunately, today I was checking the new timetable, and discovered that they appear to have made the route "one way only". Now, what this means I have yet to discover, but it appears to mean that the trip home will now take an extra thirty mnutes, spent sitting in the bus. While it is stopped. At best, a mile and a half from home (which I could walk) but it is not clear. In fact, it is not clear from the timetable that it is even possible to use the bus to return! The clear implication is that it is not.

Yours, slowly shaking my head in incredulity,
N.

1 comment:

awareness said...

Hey guess what! I was moved into a brand new building with all my social services colleagues....all under the same roof for the first time.....kind of like one stop shopping.

well, they built the ugly, ugly institutional building in the middle of nowhere, far away from bus routes, 5 km walk from downtown. AND they put ME on the second floor and told me I am not allowed to have clients in my office. it's not secure. I have to meet them in an interview room that looks more like an interogation room......AND i have to wrestle to get this room with about 15 others in the same boat.

but, the toilets flush. I guess that's a good thing.

can you believe no frigging bus?? unreal.