Sunday, August 24, 2008

A little tomfoolery

For many years, decades, nearly demicenturies, I've listened to the "music" of Tom Lehrer: he gained some notoriety in the US as a performer on the show That Was The Week That Was, a satirical television revue about the news. But I grew up in the UK: and my parents had his earlier two albums, not the one with the material about politics and world events.
I listened to his songs long before I understood their meaning: quite how offensive or shocking the themes he was lampooning could be. Gradually I came to understand the subtexts better, and have loved the songs for a long long time.
In 1980, or perhaps early 1981, I persuaded a bunch of friends to trek to London to see the show Tomfoolery (as an aside, it was produced by Cameron Mackintosh, of Cats, Les Miserables, and Phantom of the Opera fame). We had a great time (theatre, followed by a late dinner, and a later train back to college) which we would repeat many times --- replacing theatre by other entertainment on occasion: for example, the reprise tour of Pink Floyd's The Wall.
Last night, harkening back to my college days, when I took a trip that harkened back to my childhood, LOML and I went with friends to see Tomfoolery performed by a local theatre company.
A lovely performance, some marvellous interpretations (The Hunting Song in particular was performed brilliantly by a cast member in camouflage, carrying a toy machine gun, complete with stereotypical southern accent). We had a great time.
My only problem with the show was that I had to mouth all the lyrics completely silently.

Yours (tom)fooling nobody,
N.

No comments: