Monday, August 11, 2008

Much to my surprise


Much to my surprise, I find that we have a free wireless connection somewhere near the beach house. Not that this means that I'm going to spend all my time reading or blogs, or for that matter, blogging myself: but it does mean that I'll have fewer emails to catch up on when I get back next weekend.
I'm taking a few minutes now for myself: LOML is off having a nap, Boo and Skibo (four today!) are whirling around some spinning rocking chairs like mini whirling dervishes: our friends are off to order kayaks for all of us for a trip into the swamps in a day or three: they went last year, and we were quite jealous that Skibo wasn't quite old enough at the time for us to go along. This year we're going to all go in convoy!

We've spent lots of time in the water: the swimming lessons have given the children a bit more confidence than last year, but they're still cautious enough not to swim off without Mummy and Daddy, for which we give thanks.

At one point LOML had the two of them up on the beach making sand castles, and I managed to get a half an hour or so of idly swimming back and forth along the beach, a few yards out past my depth: the first time I've been swiming beyond my depth in a good many years! It felt good: liberating. Although I'm now a fair bit more cautious than I was a few decades ago: I'd swim back in to shore every few minutes just to make sure I could still get to where I could put down my feet.

We've not seen any dolphins yet this trip: still hoping that we will, but for various reasons (not going to the "Sound" side so often; the closing of our favourite restaurant, the one with the huge picture windows opening onto the inlet, through which we'd often see several dolphins, etc) we may not get as much opportunity to dolphin watch as last year.

The pelicans, on the other hand, have been stunning: several times we've seen dozens of them on patrol skimming inches above the ocean: and I've captured one shot so far which makes me happy: I've put it at the top of the post.

Yours, keeping you updated,
N.

4 comments:

awareness said...

Good to know you're enjoying yourself! Swim on!

awareness said...

hey N! Look forward to your "nice" take on the Edward's saga.

man oh man!

Cornish Dreamer said...

A belated happy birthday to Skibo for yesterday. I hope it was a good day.

I loved the photograph of the pelican. It sounds like an ideal time away.

alice c said...

It sounds wonderful - the beach, the sea, the pelicans - all a long way from a cold, wet, windy England. Wishing you happy times building sandcastles.