Sunday, August 26, 2007

White whole wheat flour

Has anyone tried making bread with "white whole wheat" flour? I bought a bag of King Arthur's brand, and threw it into a batch of old-dough-starter: it will rise on the counter Monday morning, and I will bake it at lunch time. I'll post here how it turns out: I am intrigued, as I do like the flavour of good white bread as well as whole wheat --- but the health benefits of whole wheat are enough to make it hard to justify making anything else. Or rather, the lack of benefits of non-whole wheat...

3-4 ounces of fully risen dough
20 oz water, warm
White whole wheat flour
1 tbsp kosher salt

Break the dough into small pieces, and place in the water to soften. Add a cup or so of the flour, mix in until a batter. Cover and leave for several hours. Now make a dough with the batter, remaining flour and the salt as usual. It will rise very slowly: leave overnight in a covered bowl: punch down and shape in the morning: bake in the afternoon.

That at least is the theory. I'll let you know how the practice goes!

P.S. Yes. No yeast. The old dough has enough in it.

Yours, in theory,
N.

3 comments:

Joke said...

Well????

-Mr. Impatient

BreadBox said...

Wait for it, wait for it, wait for it...
I shaped it this morning and left it on the counter to rise. It's not quite a sourdough, but very similar in nature -- the yeast is not as aggressive -- and I'm going to cook it as soon as I get home in half an hour or so.
I'll leave a word at Same Thing But Different when I see it....

N.

Anne said...

I'm with Mr. I, I wanna know how it turned out!

always love me some good bread!