Friday, August 3, 2007

Menu ideas for tomorrow

So we've arranged for L&R to come over tomorrow (sans B, Boo and Skibo's friend, who is visiting grandparents this week): and so I am trying to figure out a menu
for the meal.
So far, we have corn and beans ready to eat from the garden, and apparently there are some roma tomatoes just begging for mouths. Oh, and basil out the wazoo. So my thoughts at the moment are grilled corn on the cob, beans, somehow, and perhaps a caprese salad --- sliced mozzarella, tomatoes and basil. After my cheesemaking experiences of yesterday, I want to try it again, see how things change as I modify recipes -- I am thinking about splitting a batch of mozzarella in two, and working some herbs through one batch to have with roasted chili peppers.

Oh, and bread. Of course. Now I just need to figure out the rest of the menu.
And whether to invite anyone else, or to leave them to Sunday:-)

Yours, in apron mode,
N.

10 comments:

Paul Nichols said...

I'll be there as quick as I can. I'm bring My First Wife, too. All that sounds great!

Here from Michele's tonight.

Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

me too
I'll bring the apple pie

Michele sent me

Linda said...

See...I'm having caprese salad, along with corn on the cob too...for supper tomorrow night. The corn is sugar gold from Olathe, KS say Oh-Lay-thah.

No fresh basil, though I think I'll see if there's any at the farmer's market - small balls of fresh mozzarella (bocconcini), and I add balsamic vinegar to it. (makes the mozzarella look like mushrooms, but I don't care, I'm the only one who eats it)

The main entree? Salmon on the grill - just placed in foil with lemon slices, small thin pats of butter, some chopped parsley, adobo seasoning, and lemon juice...and cooked for 12 minutes. Flaky, tender, and oh so yum! If I had fresh ginger, I'd throw in some Lemon-ginger rice....mmmmm...maybe I'll look for THAT at the farmer's market, too!

Michelle sent me tonight!

Anonymous said...

Holy crap! Now I'm hungry! How did you do that?

Michele sent me tonight... I'm sure you'll all have a fab/tasty time!

kenju said...

My daughter introduced me to caprese salad and we ate it all over Italy. It was great! You can invite me to lunch! Michele said so!!

MsT said...

mmm - the simple pleasures of summer. sounds like the beginnings of a great menu. me? i'm having an early lunch! michele says hi.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

That's good summer food.

Michele sent me here.

Anonymous said...

All that sounds really excellent.
Of course I'm jealous that you already have tomatoes- all my tomatoes in my garden are in a green holding pattern. They don't appear to be enlarging any longer but they're just not changing out of green mode either!
Here from Micheles this afternoon.
Have fun tonight.

craziequeen said...

:-((

I don't like mozzarella cheese - 'cept on pizza.....

mmmm pizza......

Michele sent me to drool over your menus....

cq

BreadBox said...

ahhh, but CQ, have you ever made your own mozzarella? You can infuse it with your own choice of herbs and completely change the character of it -- and if you haven't had real mozzarella, just the awful stuff that makes up 99% of the sales of mozzarella (at least in the US) then you don't know what it is about:-)

N.