Tuesday, August 7, 2007

A strange visit

As I have mentioned in a few, perhaps only one or two, posts, I do origami. One might say that I do it semi-professionally, since I have actually sold a small number of pieces. For charity, I must insist, for charity. Nobody would buy them otherwise!

We have a small cafe in town, and we have become friends with the owners: and last fall we had them over for supper one evening: I was running an origami club for a local school, and mentioned this: the discussion then turned to their display of origami at the cafe. Naturally, as soon as I could do so I visited the cafe to see the display: it was a nice, very carefully folded selection, mostly of classic models. Apparently they have a regular customer who comes in and folds, and leaves the pieces for them. I folded a few pieces in a sort of "banjo-from-the-movie-deliverance" moment. And every time I've gone down to the cafe (it's not often, as their hours tend to coincide with hours when I am at work!) I've tried to leave another piece.

This evening there was a knock on the door --- LOML and I were in the dining room, and the children were playing in the living room: I had gone through to the living room, and Boo was hiding behind the sofa -- I played along: she said "there's someone at the door", so I checked, and there was someone I'd never seen before.

It was the origami guy: I invited him in, and we talked folding for a while: what was really strange, though, is that LOML insists that while he was here he stole a pencil: quite deliberately, and openly. It was worth about 20 cents, and the cost of it is not the issue, but the fact that he would deliberately pick it up and put it in his pocket, and....

Yours, crissed, crossed and creased,
N.

9 comments:

Rachael said...

I just wanted to say "thanks" for visiting my blog! Love your writing style - keep it up...

~A~ said...

*LMAO* How weird. But since My Honey deals with a number of odd characters daily at work, it doesn't surprise me.

BreadBox said...

Rachael: thanks for visiting! I love your photos and writing about food -- was so glad when you started writing again a few weeks ago:-)

N.

BreadBox said...

~a~ -- he was a little strange, but I think harmless. But a little strange. But an origami folder. But a little strange....

N.

Star said...

Bonding through origami. How unique. Maybe the origami guy wanted a momento of your meeting. Here via Michele.

Anonymous said...

I am re-learning origami with my nephews and nieces.

As always, I am glad to be here.

Heather said...

He does sound a bit strange but a least you have met a fellow oragami enthusiast. I've tried oragami and have realized I am best at sticking with typing and reading as a hobbie.

Madseason said...

...and now you should go to his house and steal something from him... LOL! Perhaps he's trying to engage you in some weird competition thingey!!

Checking in on you since I enjoy your comments at Michele's... Have a nice day!

Laura McIntyre said...

What a strange guy, fwiw i spent much of my early teen years (well from about 11-13) doing origami and loved it .