Thursday, September 27, 2007

Braised ribs

The traditional question asked of my parents: what do you want for dinner tonight? My father as always is of the opinion that baked beans on wholewheat toast makes a fine dinner. My mother thinks he is crazy.
We compromise: he can have baked beans tonight, we'll join him, but cook some things to go with it besides: so I marinated some country-style pork ribs in cider vinegar, grapefruit juice, lime, molasses, honey, mustard, soy, ginger and garlic. I'm not a 100% sure I can pick out every single flavour in the finished product, but it's good, so I keep using the recipe.
After marinating for a few hours (overnight would have been better, but I only had hours) I put them into a 350 oven, turned it down to 300 after half an hour, and cooked them covered for about two hours, then uncovered for a while.
Finally I took the ribs out of the marinade, and reduced it by about two thirds, then put the ribs back in.
Baked beans, broccoli, ribs. And wholewheat bread to go with it.
Plain. Simple. Plain and simply good.

Yours, been baked,
N.

3 comments:

Shephard said...

That sounds tasty.
We do a marinade that's even simpler (for chicken and salmon)
2TBSP grated ginger
2TBSP maple syrup (no sugar added)
2TBSP Soy Sauce or Tamari
2TBSP Olive Oil.

Good for 2 to 4 chicken breasts or 2 salmon steaks! :)

Michele says hello!
~S :)

Anonymous said...

I have never made ribs. I love them. But I've never made them.

You've inspired me to try.

alice c said...

So is that Heinz Baked Beanz?
And is is every night?
I'm thinking it sounds like quite a good diet. Easy to digest and not too much washing up.