Monday, September 10, 2007

Barking seals

Almost every parent knows what's coming next in this post. We now have two little barking seals. One of them, Boo, just wakes herself up with the coughing, and needs to sleep with us. And so we bring her into our room, where she can sleep better knowing we are there.
But Skibo wakes a little later -- I almost don't hear him, it's so quiet -- a rasping, difficult breathing that scares. And so I turn on the shower to hot, sit in the bathroom with him on my lap while the poor wee thing sits and tries to catch his breath. It's the croup -- and it's not cold enough outside to use the cold air trick: so moist air in the shower it has to be.
Eventually, I end up sleeping on Skibo's bed, with him in with Boo and LOML. The bed is uncomfortable for an adult, and the sleep is a long time coming for me, and punctuated by frequent near-waking moments.
I'm not worried for the children ---I know that while we are watching them they should be okay.... I hope.


Yours, in need of an earlier night tonight,
N.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try the fridge or freezer, that sometimes helps too.

I didn't believe it when the news said the croup is starting early this year. I guess that's what we get for becoming an overly sterilize society. What sucks is that Pixie's asthma worsens with the croup. I'm not looking forward to that battle so soon.

I hope the babes are feeling better soon, and that you get some sleep. :)

Anne said...

My heart goes out to you, I hated having coughing babies. Hope you can catch a nap soon.

alice c said...

Poor them - poor you. The only consolation is that children bounce back from illness so quickly. You could try 'Dumbo' - it works in our house!

carmilevy said...

I so feel for you. I don't know how we manage to navigate life when our kids get sick. As I watch our casted warrior sleep off the pain meds, I hope that I'll have similar strength for him as you have for your kids.

I wish you nothing but good health in your house. You're so nice to everyone in the blogosphere that you deserve no less than that.