Saturday, June 16, 2007

Call from an old friend

How nice it is to get a call out of the blue from an old friend: F called today: we had stayed with them on our way back from up north earlier in the year, but I hadn't called to let them know we made it back okay, and that sailing was smoother between LOML and me now that we were back in our own town, in our own house, with our own garden (and kitchen and knives). I should, of course, have called earlier to chat, but have been remiss of late with telephones: it sometimes feels like I have telephonophobia....
It's really rather sad, that of all the friends I had in college(s) there are so few that I have kept in contact with. A few who I send birthday greetings to, but those that I really talk to more than once or twice a year, it's in the less-than-a-handful range. Not made easier by being 4000 miles from most of them, and more than 500 miles from all of them. Still, life is what you make of it, and I've always subscribed to the notion that home had almost always better be where you are now, or you're in the wrong place.
So, home, heart, and loves are here, so this is the right place!

N.

2 comments:

Cornish Dreamer said...

It's always nice to get a call from old friends.

I lost contact with most of the people I went to school/college with as soon as I went to university, but I made some new friends along the way.

I often think that it isn't the quantity of people you know, but the quality, and the people that are your best friends will always be there, no matter the distance.

BreadBox said...

Indeed it is nice to hear from old friends: the was different, because I have kept in touch with, and remained friends with F. So it was much less playing catchup with what has happened over the past decade or two, and more what had happened in the past few months.

I've always believed in choosing friends wisely and well. Believed in it, though sometimes perhaps not actually managed to do it:-) Usually, though, I think I've done a good job.

N.