Saturday, June 23, 2007

Cafe standards

And I don't mean java.

There is a lot of debate in this country about global warming. Or rather, how we avoid facing the issues global warming would or does raise. Let us suppose for now that the evidence for global warming is not overwhelming: but that there is, say, a 20% chance that it is the case that global warming is going on. Are we willing to risk a 20% chance of our children and grandchildren facing a cataclysmic future? Are we that callous?

Little things that can and should be done. By individuals, reducing carbon footprints: installing insulation: not heating so high in the winter or cooling so low in the summer: use public transport where possible: etc.
By governments, specifically the US government: encourage reduction in gasoline usage via incentives, regulations and penalties. I discussed my take on taxes yesterday: today I thought I'd mention the fight against more fuel efficient vehicles here. Yes, you read that correctly: it seems that there is a fight to not make more fuel efficient vehicles.

Detroit, home to most US automobile companies, is in Michigan. Both Michigan senators are Democrats, typically the party more open to working to save the environment via government action: however, both senators from Michigan are fighting tooth and nail against the so-called Cafe standards: these would require higher miles per gallon for new vehicles some 10 years from now. It seems to me that the automobile manufacturers are being extremely shortsighted on this issue: they seem to think that they will be the only ones unable to compete if these new rules come into play. In fact, they would be being forced to make changes which would help them compete at a global level. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

N.

4 comments:

sage said...

I agree that Detriot (I live in Michigan, but sometimes think that's because I took a wrong turn off the Indiana turnpike) is shortshighted and are bent on committing corporate suicide by holding on to their belief in bigger is better... Yet I drive a a full size truck, but I also walked a mile to the office today. Here from Michele's.

btw, what kind of baker? Tim, in my sidebar, is a professional baker and early in life, I spent 5 years working in a bakery and about a year ago blogged about the experience.

BreadBox said...

Purely an amateur baker --- fairly good, mainly bread and some cakes: I've taught intro breadmaking classes for some cookware stores around here.

Does Tim have any advice on how to find decent fresh yeast? (that is, in a big fresh yeasty block!)

N.

sage said...

I don't know if he does--you can find his blog in the list of blogs in my sidebar.

I wrote about an experience with bad yeast, but my bakery days was in a large wholesale bakery and we got yeast in 50 pound bags and by the pallet load.

BreadBox said...

Right: found him: though it is not clear from his blog that he is a baker!

I'll have to check out your yeast story!
N.