Wednesday, April 9, 2008

On reading and resolution

With the coming of a new year (in my life, that is), and with the lying abed for two days that was brought on by strep throat last week, I made a discovery and a resolution.
I'm going to learn to read again. Or, in discovery fashion, I have learned to read again.
Regular readers (all three of you) will recall that I finished a book last month: not only that, but I had only been reading it for a few months: fewer than six, if I recall correctly.
In the week or so since then, I've read another two books.

How did I manage this feat? How did I take back control of my life to the extent that I can read again? This is where resolve comes in. I am trying to force myself to sit and read a book for half an hour every evening, prior to falling asleep. In the course of a week or two, words are taken in, chapters pass, books fall. And in another few months I will have reduced the "must read" pile sufficiently that I can justify buying more books. Not that I will actually wait until then to buy more books, of course!


Yours, all booked up for months to come,
N.

2 comments:

awareness said...

MY reading has fallen off the shelf because of my writing. I used to walk around with a book in one hand and a cup of tea in the other at all times. When the kids were little, they would sit on my lap to watch a cartoon or something and I would have my nose in a book. Since the writing started, I have dropped fiction almost completely and have picked up non fiction IF I do read a book.

Your post is timely.......I'm starting to miss a good read....maybe this weekend.

alice c said...

There are two problems with reading before you go to sleep. Firstly, you tend to pick easy reads because you don't have the concentration for more challenging stuff and secondly, you fall asleep at unpredictable moments and have to spend the next day working out where you left the story. I don't have an answer because I have never been able to sit down and read in the day time. Unlike my daughter who reads all the time, breaking occasionally, if reminded, to eat.