Friday, April 25, 2008

Fish and Chips

One of the nice things about having LOML's parents visit is that they like to have fish and chips on Fridays: which gives me an opportunity to cook it a few times while they are here.
I've been using Alton Brown's recipe for the beer batter --- which works well now that I've figured out that his measuring system is as sensible as the "gallons versus gallons" situation discussed above.

See, he calls for two cups of flour, and a bottle of brown beer (together with salt, old bay seasoning, cayenne pepper and baking powder). And cups of flour are a good measure, pretty much. (To within 4 percent, anyway: see the post about gallons versus gallons). But "bottle" means something less precise. And the first time or three I made the batter, I kept having to add lots more liquid to get it to a batter stage. And then I had an epiphany: he doesn't mean a regular 12 (US) fl oz bottle, he means a 16 (UK) fl oz bottle, which is marketed here as a 15.5 (US) fl oz bottle!
And once I had realised that, it made it much easier. Now I just pop open two of the smaller bottles, pour in one, and enough of the second to get the consistency I want, and then find something else to do with the other.
Usually it involves drinking it:-)

Yours, having adapted,
N.

1 comment:

awareness said...

A friend gave me a magnet a long time ago which adorns my fridge...."I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

I Bar BQ'd steaks tonight for dins.....and well, I put some of it on the food.

Love fish and chips......and beer batter.