Thursday, October 7, 2010

Possum Magnet

We're big fans of lots of childrens' authors: one in particular who has written many wonderful books is Mem Fox.  One of our favourites, and one that resonates especially for us, is Koala Lou: about a young koala who thinks that her mother is too busy to love her any more: she decides to enter the bush olympics, but fails to win, but in the end discovers that her mother does love her anyway.  We've adopted the tag line for our own:
"I do love you, Boo, I always have and I always will"
is a frequent line from our mouths (and similarly for Skibo).
Another of her books that we really love is Possum Magic, all about a young possum, turned invisible by her grandmother, and their quest (via traditional Aussie food like lamingtons, pavlova and vegemite) to undo the spell.  
This was all brought to mind by the fact that this week we've had two (different, I believe) possums turn up: one in a recycling bin outside, the other inside the house, having come in an open window (a window ten feet above the ground, but with ample climbing surfaces nearby). The first I released by the side of the house, the second LOML and I managed to persuade to scuttle back out the window.
Not believing in magic, I am assuming we have some other attractive qualities, probably not including two dogs and two cats.

Yours, in the role of possum magnet,
N.

No comments: