Thursday, October 14, 2010

Failure rates

Equipment fails in an interesting fashion.  There's a binary nature: it either fails immediately or very early in its life, or it lasts as long as is expected.
My new laptop, just a couple of months old, is a perfect example of this: we installed extra RAM very early, and it was faulty, so we had to wait for a replacement.  Then we put in a larger hard-drive, since I choose to dual-boot: this was fine, for over a month.  And this morning, it failed.  Died a death, it did.  The machine won't boot from the hard drive, and booting with a rescue disk shows no drive connected to the machine.
Fortunately, I'd only made it my machine for regular use a week or so ago, so even though it is not properly backed up, the lost material is minimal. 
It is helping me appreciate my three year old machine more, though.

Yours, annoyed, but living with it,
N.

No comments: